152. Change of Heart


Cris visits Laerchel and decides to do the right thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laerchel rested, draped across a chase lounge on the balcony. The door was unlocked, and she waited patiently. She couldn't have her brother, her friend, and the man she'd always love (on some level or another) hate her for the next decade, so she took the only logical course: sent him a letter. It was brief, anonymous enough, and sent by channels that would never know whom it was from or whom it was to, or any of the people in the middle of the delivery. When last she saw Cris he'd been planning on killing her...lover? Boyfriend? She didn't really know what to call Tarin. If Cris wanted to see her, he'd be here in the next few minutes. The note had the address and time. With a deep breath she took in the smells of Orgrimmar, eyes drifting up to the stars in the sky. Laerchel never imagined she'd own a nice place in the heart of fucking Orgrimmar. Her promotion had its perks really. One of which was the ability to afford this apartment. Then again, she'd never thought she'd be a hair away from being a Warlord.
A hand turned the door's handle and in stepped a beggar-looking being. He entered cautiously, making sure no one followed or even noticed he was there. Quietly, he closed the door and he stood upright, face still covered by the enormous hat. He didn't want to call out her name, for fear of a trap. He had never doubted her, but lately, he wasn't sure. It broke his heart, but he had to keep an eye out for himself. If anything, he had promised Alaia that he would return. Quietly, he walked around, looking at every detail in the apartment.
"I'm out here." She heard him in the living room. There was no denying the cheer in her voice, though she did attempt to suppress it. She twisted around and sat up on her knees, head popping up over the back of the lounger. "I'm glad you came." Laer's golden hair was down and flowing around her face and back like a shawl. "I kept trying the ear piece but I figured you were too mad at me to keep it on." She didn't acknowledge his paranoia, it was warranted.
"I left it on the ship. I wouldn't be surprised if Ziggly covered it or destroyed it if it was bothering his whores." He walked closer and began to remove the layers of costume, leaving him down to his black pants and white swashbuckler shirt. He removed his large hat and let his blonde hair fall over his shoulders. "Nice place," he said, as he reached back to tie his hair at his nape. He didn't want to respond to her comment about him being angry. He was, but he wasn't. He was hurt, but he didn't want to show that.
"Thanks, its weird to be able to afford this." She had on a pair of skintight silk pants and a short cropped, sleeveless top. Both were in blue, as per usual her feet were bare. Shifting she patted the end of the chase, it was really the only furniture out here aside from a small round end table. "Have a seat?" She tucked herself into the corner of the chase. "I...I am sorry." That's kind of all she knew what to say. But she really wasn't sorry in a way. "I wasn't lying when I told you all that stuff in the inn." It was sort of irrelevant now but she wasn't going to mention that until she was sure whether or not Tarin would live.
He stared at her for a long moment. Dropping the costume on the ground, he walked toward her and sat beside her. He gulped and looked down, his hands folded between his legs. "I was so...confused. I went home drunk." He chuckled once and slightly shook his head. "This wasn't why I sent you here."
"I know, and it didn't start out as me falling head over heals for a pretty man." She laughed softly and shook her head, "I seduced him because his lack of a romantic life was a very obvious weakness, and it was a very quick way to find and protect you during all that mess. I never planned on falling for him."
Still looking down, he chuckled softly. "Must not have been hard to fall for you, I’m sure. You're beautiful." He lifted his head a bit to give her a glance.
She blushed a little and poked his shoulder, "And I'm damn good in bed!"
Cris lifted his eyebrows in acknowledgement. "Don't I know it."
She had a speech planned about him and his neglect of her and well it evaporated. Someday, she would have to tell Taren the truth. And it would kill him; she wondered how long she could keep all her secrets. "How have you been?"
He looked down and nodded his head. "Good. Got attacked by wretched, but otherwise good." He felt a bit better by then, but he still felt angry inside, however, he wasn't sure why exactly. He let out a sigh.
"Well, that's interesting. When did that happen?" She was so out of the loop and had been for so long.
"A few weeks ago. Broke into the house."
With a bit of a squirm she tucked into a neat little fold, knees to her chin and feet on the plush cushion, arms around her legs. "But I don't think that is why you are sighing."
He turned to look at her. "Is this the life you're going to lead now? I mean, you're not coming back, are you?" He hated losing her to the organization that wanted him dead.
"Until they stop wanting to kill you, I'm staying." She liked it and she didn’t. She didn’t like being trapped in with the Horde, scheming, but she liked feeling useful, and not seeing herself as just the other woman. "I got a promotion. They basically gave me Lightdawn's job plus control over a pretty good chunk of the spy network. I don't know if I could be of anymore use to you out on a ship than I am here."
He nodded and looked away. "Alright. But, will you be working for me anymore? I mean, really?"
A smirk crossed her lips, "Yes. We either need to get you a new earpiece or you need to get yours back on once you get back on the ship. I will tell you now though, stay away from Horde military vessels. They are carrying a lot of cargo but they are loaded with soldiers too. I really think Garrosh is planning something big and they'd blow you out of the water before you could get close."
He chuckled. "We'll be fine." He looked at her and reached out for her hand. "Thank you." For the first time that evening, he seemed a bit more relaxed than when he arrived. "So, you really like this asshole?"
She gave his hand a squeeze, "Yes, I do." Her eyes were so close to rolling when he said that, but she stopped herself. "He, he really isn't a monster." Laer doubted Cris would ever believe that but she wouldn't either had she been the one trapped in that cell.
He let out another long sigh and nodded. "Alright. I won't kill him."
With that, she sprung from her seat and threw her arms around Cris. She'd wanted him to say that but it was quite the surprise to actually hear it. "Thank you!" Her arms hurt a little from how hard she hugged the pirate. "Thank you. Thank you, thank you, Cris." Not that she would have let Taren die, but it was really him saying it that mattered.
Surprised by her sudden hug attack, Cris smiled and wrapped his arms around her small form. "That doesn't mean that if he attacks me first I ain't defending myself." He exhaled and closed his eyes as he hugged her back. He missed her hugs. He missed her.
"This is why you need me here. To keep pesky admirals from gunning you down." She giggled and enjoyed the embrace. Really, he'd always be here best friend. "How are you and Alaia doing?" Reluctantly, she let go of him and plopped on her butt, shoulder to shoulder with him. One hand swept her hair over one shoulder, keeping it out of the way.
He nodded and placed his hand on her thigh. "Good. We're...good." He seemed nervous for some reason. "We're...good."
Arching a brow, she placed her hand on his, "You don't sound terribly sure about that."
"Well...She's...I mean..." He looked at her with a very innocent and content look. "I'm going to be a father."
Laer's eyes grew to the size of saucers, and her hand squeezed his very tightly. "Congratulations Cris. I knew you wanted to be a father someday." She smiled and kissed his cheek. "How far along is she? Are you excited? Scared?"
He chuckled and smiled, "I don't know how far along she is. It's a girl thing, I guess. I am excited, but damn right I'm scared. I'm a fucking pirate. I have so many enemies. I'm supposed to be dead!" He chuckled again, "Which is why, I'm not going to bother with your creep."
She snorted at Taren being called a creep, "Maybe you should retire then? Before you can become too notorious again?" He would want to see his kid, and she knew Cris well enough to know he wouldn't want his baby on a pirate ship with Ziggly. She wondered if the Lil Fucker knew Alaia was pregnant yet.
"I thought about it, but...I don't think even Alaia would allow that. She loves sailing. I just have to...watch out who knows and protect him or her until it can defend itself." He didn't even believe his own words at that moment. He truly was frightened.
She shook her head, "I think you might need a second ship and be an admiral yourself. That way Zig can't corrupt the child from the start." Laer was only half joking with that one. "Though, I bet Gerty would help you keep the wee one safe." Laer somehow doubted she'd ever have children of her own.
"She's with us right now. I needed Alaia safe and that new recruit is an idiot, so Gerty's watching her. And don't worry about Zig. He'll behave." He chuckled and looked at her. The look turned into a stare.
She blinked, "What is it Cris?" The staring was noticed.
"I'm sorry," he whispered.
"About what?" Her left ear twitched and she loosened the tight grip she didn't realize she still had on his hand.
He looked down at her hand, "About us. About not picking you..." His voice choked a bit as he said that.
That was heavy. Laer's breath caught in her throat, "I...I..." She had no idea what to say. Her eyes darted away and down at her hands. "It is okay." Was it? She didn't really know.
"I didn't tell Alaia why I drank so much that day when I saw the two of you. For all she knows, it was because you had betrayed me." He couldn't see her as he spoke.
She sighed, "I had hoped for a very long time that you would be mine." She swallowed hard, her saliva suddenly feeling like paste. "But, as time went on, and especially after I met your wife, I knew that it would be best if gave myself some space to get over you." She wasn't over him, not really. But she at least had found someone else who didn't have a wife, or wives, or a billion other girlfriends.
He nodded. "I'm a horrible guy for anyone." He smiled and lifted her hand to his lips. "I’m just too damn charming." He kissed her hand while he looked at her, his blue-green eyes staring at her eyes. He smiled.
With that, she started laughing and the hand not occupied by his affections reached up and stroked his hair. "Well, you are right on both counts but it doesn't really make us ladies stop wanting you."
He laughed with her and continued to hold her hand. "You knew me too well. Perfectly. Everything that I needed." He caressed her knuckles and smiled, looking down. "I couldn't say no to you."
"Yeah, but Alaia is very good for you, Cris. And she loves you as much as I do." She couldn't deny liking the woman. "And you obviously love her too. Things are good for you now."
He nodded. "You're right." He placed his head on her shoulder and sighed. "If he hurts you, I swear, Laer..."
Laer chuckled, "I really don't think he will. If anything, he'll find out all of the truth about me and it'll kill him." She sighed, "He doesn't know that I know you, or that I am a pirate. I told him I spent time sailing with freelance merchants. And that is all."
"Well, now I'm worried for you." He chuckled a bit, his fingers playing with hers.
Laer rested her head on his shoulder, "I worry about it constantly. Part of me wants to lie to him forever and part of me feels like he deserves to know at least part of the truth. I will never tell him what my real intentions for being in the Horde." That would end them.
He nodded, "Just...be careful, dear. Please."
"I will be. Have you two thought of any names yet?" She grinned a little.
Cris shook his head. "We don't even know what it is." He chuckled.
She giggled softly, "Well, that's why you plan for both!"
"I'll suggest Laerchel to Alaia."
She blushed a deep red, "Cris!" I
He laughed and hugged her. "Why not?" He knew Alaia wouldn't be comfortable with the idea, but he found it funny.
"Well, it’s flattering, but it’s also kind of scary to think someone would be named after me." She laughed, and had no idea how Alaia would feel about the suggestion.
He laughed again and kissed her head. "I better go before your asshole lover shows up and thinks your sleeping with a pirate who's supposed to be dead." Cris shrugged and smirked.
Laer chuckled, "Well this place is mine and I live alone mostly. If you get a chance to come see me please do. I don't intend to be exiled from the sea forever, but until I get some leave or a good excuse to go I will most likely be stuck here."
"As inviting as that is, it will be extremely difficult to sneak in here anytime I want, especially since it makes Alaia panic." He stood and stretched.
"Well, she is more than welcome too." She grinned and stood up with Cris. Their friendship being repaired was a priceless gift and a huge weight off her shoulders. "I think she'll find the place suitable." The decor wasn't super fancy but the place was clean, and things were well made. She had a garage in the basement for all her engineering needs.
"Yeah, I can see that happening, especially when she's as big as a blimp." He chuckled and looked at her. "I'm not going to lie. I've been trying hard not to grab you and kiss you." He sighed and looked down for his costume.
The urge to want to jump his bones had been gone until the moment she realized he didn't hate her. "Well, as hard as it is, I think its best we didn't do anything...frisky." She licked her lips, thinking about the last time they were someplace private and alone for longer than five minutes.
"I know, I know. I'll just hurry home." He chuckled a little while he picked up his costume. "Zig's been trying to lure me into brothels again. He doesn't know yet."
She laughed, "Zig hasn't been able to get you into a brothel since you met Alaia. He really needs to stop trying."
"He did, actually. I don't remember if I told you or not." He turned to look at her. "It was so hard to resist all of them. I even saw Brisa." He looked as if his mind had wandered and he shook his head, throwing the coat over his shoulders.
"I haven't heard that name in a very long time." She chuckled, "Is she doing well?" This wasn't the time to ask about the distant look on his face.
"She went back to prostituting. She was all over me." He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "Yeah, I better get home..."
"Yeah. Be safe and careful. Tell Alaia I said hello and congratulations to you both!" She walked with him to the door.
He threw the rags on him and held the hat in his hands. "I will. Thank you."
 The door began to open slowly and a uniformed elf walked in, sword in hand. He noticed the heavily dressed man and shifted his sight to Laerchel. "Laerchel! Are you alright?" Tarin extended a hand out to her, but his eyes were still on the stranger. He was still in his work clothes and still quite armed. Cris took a step back, his hands already digging into his costume.
"I'm fine. I have seen this poor gentleman before and I brought him up to give him some food. Its quite alright." She pulled Tarin in and to the side; it amused her that he was so protective. "I do hope you stay safe, and that coin I gave you will get you a good nights rest at an inn." She smiled, eyes shooting between Tarin and the "Beggar".
Cris eyed Laerchel and nodded, placing the hat over his head. He crouched and began to make his way to the door when Tarin's sword stopped his path. "Is this the same one we saw on the blimp that other time?" He was already bothered by what he had gotten a glimpse of: his eyes.
"I don't know. Maybe? As I've said, I've run into him before." She reached out and tried to get Tarin to lower his weapon, "Darling, I promise everything is fine."
Tarin had entered investigator mode at this point. "Sir, remove that hat again, if you please. I want to make sure you're not one of the thieves that have been reported in some of the shops lately."
Cris rolled his eyes under the hat and softly said, "I would trust your lady friend. I'm just a grateful beggar."
The Admiral was bound to stand his ground. His voice was losing that patience he was known for having with prisoners. "I will not ask again."
"Tarin." Her grip got tighter on his wrist, and her voice low. She could feel her heart trying to pound out of her throat. "Please don't do this. I don't recognize him from any of the reports or else he would have already been jailed."
Tarin pushed against Cris with the flat side of the blade and tried to remove the hat himself. It was then that a gun emerged from underneath the piles of clothing and it was pointed straight at Tarin's face. He gasped and froze in place.
Laer just got irritated and with the hand not holding Cris snapped up to grab the hand on the gun, "Boys, I won't have anyone killing anyone else in my new apartment. Elrin, you have lost your welcome." Hopefully Cris would find some other disguise, "Tarin, I would appreciate it if you would start listening to me." There was nothing fake about the aggression in her voice. Hopefully she could get the two of them separated.
"What beggar carries a gun like that?" Tarin asked, staring at the decorated gun. It had sophisticated designs and it looked well taken care of. He slowly lowered his sword, but he didn't step back.
"I'm assuming the kind that wants to keep their coin,” Laerchel managed to say as she held them back.
Cris lowered his guard just a bit and waved the gun, gesturing for Tarin to move. "Tell him to get out of the way." His voice was deep, like those times when he is furious with the crew for not obeying his orders. Someone was usually shot.
She let go of Cris' hand and gave Tarin a tug away from the door, hoping he'd move.
Tarin kept his eye on the "beggar" and took a step to the side, giving him the path to the open door. As Cris rushed to get out, Tarin reached out and pulled the hat off, revealing the blonde hair. Cris, enraged at this point, kicked the door shut and once again pointed the gun at Tarin, asking, "Really, Laer? Him?" Tarin glared at Cris, particularly at his eyes. They were different, unlike most Sin’dorei he knew.
Laerchel sighed and shook her head, knowing that there went her big secret. "He's a bit over protective." She grumbled and stepped between the pirate and the admiral. If anyone was getting shot tonight, it'd be her.
Confused at how Laerchel was standing, her back to him. Tarin partially lifted his sword, “I recognize those eyes.” Tarin could recall the way those eyes stared at him endlessly after every beating and every torture the elf was put through when he was imprisoned. He remembered begging the elf to just give in and stop instigating them. There was no way he could forget such eyes. They were traitorous eyes in his mind. “You...you're supposed to be...dead.
Cris smiled and tilted his head to the side a bit, shrugging at Tarin's comment.
“What's going on?" His last words were asked closer to Laerchel’s ear.
"It is a bit complicated but he taught me how to sail and read, and honestly I'd be dead if it wasn't for him. He is the freelancer I told you about." Hopefully, just hopefully Tarin would think she's naive as hell. "I owe him my life."
"He's no freelancer, Laerchel," Tarin said. His sword was now in both hands, to Laerchel's side. "I remember those eyes."
Cris rolled his eyes again, "Look, fucker, it's me. Happy? Captain Seawolf. There. We're all clear here, right? Now, before you go swinging around like a monkey, and you go hurting Laerchel, put your damn sword down. My shot is faster than your swing. Trust me." Tarin stood still, trying to comprehend everything he had heard.
"Tarin, I don't know what it is he's done to you, but I won't let you hurt the only thing close to family I've ever had. And Captain...I can't very well let you kill my lover." This was a tough balancing act and well, hopefully it wouldn't lead to her hanging herself on her own tightrope.
"Why is he here? How is this traitor family?" Tarin was beyond confused.
Cris smirked. "Look, I was here to kill you. After I found out about you two, I figured you'd be here. Do you know how many nights I spent with nightmares, thinking you were going to have the entire Horde army kill me? Trust me, fucker, killing you would be such a pleasure right now."
Tarin's sword was lowered a bit, his face going pale. "Laerchel..." he started.
"Tarin, you know how I grew up. I met him in a seedy bar in Silvermoon. I had originally made my way to the city because the hunting had been so bad for so long that there was little to eat. Foraging was hard that year and, and I was starving and lonely. I tried to steal his coin purse while he chatted up some girl. Instead of killing me he bought me some proper clothes, fed me, and a week later hired a courtesan to teach me how to speak properly and read and write." She shook her head, "He isn't blood family, but what on earth would you call someone that gave you a chance at life. He taught me to sail and how to keep creepy men from trying to do untoward things to me." Her tone changed as she addressed the pirate, "As for you, please stop calling him a fucker. I already made you promise me not to kill him so please put your gun away. And Tarin put away your sword. I knew the Captain was in trouble but he didn't tell me the details." That was a bald faced lie and she hoped Cris would help her keep it, regardless of how he felt about Tarin.
With a heavy sigh, Cris lowered his gun, but kept it at his side. If he was attacked, he would shoot, even if it was just to injure. Tarin furrowed his brows as he heard Laerchel's story and he looked at Cris. "She's right. Everything she told you is true. We went our own ways a while back and she has no idea what was going on or why I was sneaking around. I only told her that I couldn't be seen in Orgrimmar," Cris said. He couldn't afford to lose his spy. Tarin was going to say something but Cris interrupted him. "No, shut up. Like I said, I came to kill you, but you know what I found out a week ago? I'm going to be a father. You, sir, have no idea how long I've wanted that. Laerchel heard it so many times that it must have annoyed her, but it finally happened. And I realized that hunting you wouldn't prove fruitful. Right now, the damn city thinks I'm dead. Many pirates think I'm dead. I think I’d like to keep it that way. That's fine. But this is going to depend on you. Keep your damn mouth shut, and everything will go back to the way it was before that moment you walked into this room. You get to work for the Horde and stay with Laerchel, and I get to go home to my wife and my unborn child." Cris stared at Tarin hard, hoping his words had worked.
Laer stepped and twisted to tuck herself into Tarin's side, arms around his waist, forcing her body between his arms and hopefully shaking his grip, "Tarin please think beyond duty and the orcs and about people." They'd had a discussion about empathy recently; his views on life were so different than hers it was almost like they were from different planets. But she loved him and knew he was a good man.
Tarin gulped and gripped Laerchel with his free hand, his sword down to his side. He was confused, but with a stone-face, he said, "Go." The pirate was right. Everyone thought he was dead and he was already getting a second chance at his job. With a bit more assertiveness in his voice, he said louder. "I do hope that a man who just received such news would take better care of himself and not do stupid things, such as stealing from the Horde."
Cris grinned and walked backwards. "Oh, and if you ever, EVER hurt Laerchel.... If you as much as leave her for any other woman or break her heart, all bets are off. You're dead." Cris said that with a huge smile on his face.
Laer just sighed and pressed the side of her head against Tarin's chest. "Good night Captain. Be safe." She waved at him.
Cris winked at Laerchel, swung the gun into his costume and placed the hat over his head as he ran out the doorway, leaving Laerchel to deal with the confused Admiral.



((thanks to Laerchel for her part and apologies for the story being rough, grammar-wise. I'm short on time and I wanted to post :p))


No comments:

Post a Comment