158. A Glimpse of His Past


Cris tells Alaia a little about his past.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After dinner, they dispersed around the ship. A lot of the secondary crew were going to their cots for the evening and the night watch was taking their positions. Gerty remained in the galley cleaning up with Ismay, Kyl began to mop the floor, and Ziggly went back to the wheel. Cris held Alaia's hand as they walked up on the deck. He was silent as the breeze hit them under the night sky. The lanterns were lit all around the ship, supplying a soft glow around them. Faintly, Ziggly could be heard singing and laughing to himself.
Alaia was content, despite the things that had been discussed during dinner. Her hand was in his and the moment that breeze hit her face her eyes closed, her smile lifted and she stepped closer to him. For now, for this moment at least, she felt just about perfect. Only Ziggly singing broke the spell and it was broken by her own soft laughter as she shook her head. "He's such a pain," she said softly.
"Hmm?" Cris turned to the upper decks. "Oh. Yeah. Good friend though." It was obvious that he wasn't all there.
Alaia's eyebrows rose as she looked up at Cris. She gave his hand a little tug to get his attention. "What are you thinking about?"
"What he said. He's right. Once Tia knows, she'll stop at nothing." He sighed and walked toward the edge, looking over at the dark waters.
She sighed softly; there wasn't going to be any ignoring this as much as she might want to. "Then I.. guess I better know a little more about what's going on. I don't know anything about her or... anything."
He smirked. "Where do I begin?" He continued to look at the water. "Did I ever tell you about The Captain?"
She couldn't help but frown and her gaze dropped because there were things they had never discussed before, things that neither of them had asked. She didn't mind not talking about her own history but it bothered her not knowing his. She gave a wavering little sigh.  "No, not really."
Cris nodded. "Have I told you about my human father?" He turned to look at her. The expression on his face was calm and more focused than before.
And now she was uncertain, chewing nervously on her lower lip and rubbing at her cheek. "I think so..."
He blinked and stared at her, now a bit worried. "You don't know much about my past, do you?"
When she blinked it was to ward away the tears that were building in her eyes. She offered him a feeble smile when she looked up at him and most of the blood seemed to have drained from her face. "As much as you do about mine. I... didn't need to know. It... it wasn't my place and then we were this all of a sudden." Her gaze slid away from him then and she wiped at an escaping tear with the back of her hand.
Cris reached for her face and wiped the tear away. "I'll tell you all about me and why Tia is a concern, and then you can tell me everything about you. Yes?" He smiled warmly and caressed her cheek tenderly.
She looked so worried when she'd been so happy before but she nodded and stepped closer until she could rest her forehead against his chest. "Ok."
Cris kissed her head and took a deep breath. "The man who is...was..my biological father met my mother, a woman who came from a lower class than he. They had a few flings and when she found out she was carrying me, he told her to leave the city. My mother didn't know that he was engaged to a powerful noble. He told her that if she ever returned, we would both be dead." He moved away from her and faced the ledge again. "I never knew him, but mother said he was a magister. Magic wielder." He turned to look at her with a small smile, "That is why she never wanted me to dabble with magic. When I was younger, I started to show signs that I was capable of doing the same as he, but she made sure that I didn't."
She listened closely, nodding at the things she already knew and locking on to the ones she didn't. She would never forget a thing he told her. The mention of magic had her perking for a moment but she said nothing of it, not yet. She simply nodded and wished once again that she'd known his mother.
"In her travels, she ran into the Darkmoon Faire. They took my mother in and I was born months later as a member of the caravan." He smiled as he paused and continued, "It was fun. The faires were neat, but it wasn't always easy. In between faires, we had to find a way to make ends meet. My mother started as a flower vendor. She would go into Stormwind or Thunder Bluff. However, that wasn't enough and she didn't want me to starve, so..." He closed his eyes and sighed, "So she worked at nights....out of our wagon." He cleared his throat and took a deep breath. "I never approached her about it. She managed to feed us. And because of that, I have always treated the girls at the brothels with respect and appreciation."
She moved closer as his story continued and by the time he had reached the more unsavory parts of his mothers work she was wrapped around his arm. And she hugged his arm that way, rubbed her cheek gently against him; she certainly didn't mind where he had been or what his mother had done to survive and that was her only way of showing it without interrupting him. She gave his arm a squeeze and placed a soft kiss to his bicep.
"One of those men was a human who started to show up earlier and more often. Mother introduced him as Marcus, someone who traded for a living and one day, she told us that they were going to marry." He chuckled a little and leaned his head against hers. "A human wanted to marry my mother, a beautiful elf with a child. But they did, and I had a father. Marcus actually cared. He raised me as his own. He made sure that I listened to his lessons and I did." He smiled and looked at the water. "What I didn't know about him, and I'm sure my mother did, was that before he became a trader and a notary, he was a pirate." He looked at Alaia with a small smile.
Alaia gave a small, thoughtful smile and finally broke into his speech to utter just one overly soft comment. "I happen to like pirates." Of course she really only meant him and that was all she had to say.
He chuckled softly. "My mother didn't want me to know that. So I didn't. Mother passed away and eventually, so did Marcus. On the day he passed, I met The Captain. He was this bearded, scruffy man who swore upon Marcus' deathbed that he would take care of me. I didn't know that he was a pirate until The Captain told me. It was then that I was introduced to the world of piracy." He shrugged. "The Captain was a dog, as many of us are. Woman after woman after woman. One of those women was a troll with pink hair and gray eyes. If you were to see her now I can promise you she looked the exact same way years ago. She never ages." Cris shuddered a bit. "This was Tia'Zula. The Captain had her around for a while. She was a healer of confidence. We could always go to her and she would take care of us. Eventually, the Captain found another woman. And another. And another. At first, Tia threatened to kill off his crew, meaning us, but he gave her work, so she remained with us. She always watched me, now that I think about it." He sighed.
This was what Alaia didn't know and what she wished she'd asked long ago. She listened to this with extra care and tried to form a picture of Tia in her mind. Her brow furrowed more and more as Cris went on. "So this... mess was always coming," she murmured. She didn't want to interrupt but she couldn't keep the thought to herself.
"Well, at that time, I wasn't indebted to her. That happened when I died." He remained silent for a few seconds. "I had broken away from the Captain then. I had my own ship, my own crew, and when that damn death knight..." Without thinking, he touched the scar on his neck. "...The crew didn't know where to take me, so they took me to Tia. She healed me and placed the shark teeth around my neck. The center one was to capture souls. To please the spirits, she said." He shook his head, his eyes closed. "I don't believe that now," he whispered. "I hated what I had to do. I could have died if I didn't kill anyone, so many died to keep me going."
She couldn't keep from frowning and finally released his arm to push beneath it and get her arms around his waist. She just held onto him tightly, gripping his shirt in her hands while she listened.
"She was with us for a long while. So many times she wanted me. Intimately, but no, I refused. It wasn't right. She hated that. I started to rebel against her wishes and that's when she started to act...odd." He blinked. "When she found out I had married Niela..." He closed his eyes and sighed. "She betrayed us that day I was caught."
She tipped her head to look up at him, this time confused. "But I thought she was still with you after you met me. What did she do?"
"We suspected something wrong about her, so she was with us when we sailed to keep an eye on her. On one of those trips, she managed to tip off the Horde of what we were going to do. She was on the airship when we were caught. She removed the shark tooth, broke the spell, and sent it to Niela."
Such a heavy sigh fell from her lips and a pouty, angry expression slipped across her face. She would have held onto him tighter if she could have done so without hurting him. Instead she settled for burrowing in as much as she could. "So... she's insane basically."
He nodded. "She does something with those souls. Something that keeps her looking the same for years and years. I don't know what she's up to now, but I know...I know that she knows. I know that she invaded my dreams. I know we're in danger." He looked at her, worriedly. "I'm sorry I have brought this upon you."
For the first time that night she looked concerned, truly concerned. After a moment she released him and pulled away so she could face him and press her fingers to his lips to silence him. "No apologies," she said so softly. "With you is where I want to be, whatever that brings." She gave such a soft sigh then and slid her fingers from his lips so she cradle his cheek and stroke it so gently with her thumb. "We need to figure out how she's linked to you and if we can break it."
He nodded. "Yeah." He gazed out at the dark waters. "I know we do."
He was watching the water but her eyes were locked on his face. "Is there anything else I should know?"
"I don't know if she knows what you look like. She may think you're Niela, for all I know. Be wary of trolls." He sighed and closed his eyes. "I'll try not to let her see you in my dreams."
"What is she, exactly? I know she uses magic and that she heals but there are all kinds of magic and all kinds of healing."
"I don't know exactly. She uses spirits. She uses herbs and skulls and blood. Hair and skin." He shook his head. "I don't know. I'm not that knowledgeable in magics."
"Well. I am." She chewed thoughtfully on her lip for a moment. "And what I don't know I can  usually find out. I just... want her out of your head."
He nodded again. "We spent so much time together. She must have bits of me everywhere."
"Probably," she sighed. "If she uses blood and... things... I don't know how to counter that. I don't know if you can counter that without someone dying. She's a troll so whatever she considers herself I'm guessing it's more than simply mage or shaman, that would just be something to let her get by in public, wouldn't it? If what she's really practicing is voodoo. That's not quite as acceptable."  She chewed on her lip again, her brow furrowing in thought though she went silent.
"I’ve thought about it," he muttered. "Just ending it all to keep her away from everyone. I’ve thought about it." He smirked a little, "But then again, I've survived so many times, I don't think death is in my future."
That comment drew her from her thoughts and brought a severe frown directed at him. "No, it's not. And I was talking about her anyway."  If her brow could furrow more it did then. "If she can get to you from a distance, we can get to her from a distance." Her eyes narrowed in thought; she was coming up with something.
He looked at her and sighed softly. "I need you safe, Alaia. Remember that, please." He kissed her head. "We need you safe."
She sighed, drawn from her thoughts once again. "I will be. But that doesn't mean that I can't help figure things out. I'm the one with all the books, remember?" She wrinkled her nose up at him playfully. "But I think we need to find someone who knows more about this kind of thing. Maybe a druid would be helpful."
"I don't know." Cris turned around and looked at the passed out Ziggly. "I'm hoping this trip is worthwhile. I don't even know where we're gonna go at this point."
"Where we're meant to be." She offered him an encouraging smile. "And I think, until we figure things out, that if Miss Tia wants to spy on your dreams we should feed her a few false ones to follow." She flashed him the cheesiest grin. "That I do know how to do."
He looked at her, lifting an eyebrow. "Oh?"
"Oh, it's easy to make yourself dream about something specific. It just takes a little thought. Usually. And if that doesn't work you just need to be too tired to dream. But dreams are good. I'd rather you have dreams of... flying fish than no dreams at all." She smiled. "You might wake up laughing then and that would be an awfully nice way to wake up."
He chuckled a bit. "Very well, we will try it." He hugged her, but careful not to squeeze her delicate body too tightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment