163. New Healer Onboard

Cristianno has found a new confidant and someone who will guide him and his restless journey.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            “Focus on the flower. Listen to what it has to tell you. Listen to its essence.”
            “You realize this is stupid, right?”
            “It’s only ‘stupid’ because you’re not willing to open your mind to it. Just try it.” The Pandaren woman’s voice was softening as she stared at the flower in front of the red-haired elf. “Just focus.” The elf stared at the flower and sighed. “What is it saying?”
            “It’s saying nothing because it’s a bloody plant,” he responded with a sigh. He leaned back and hung his head backward. “What is the purpose of this anyway?”
            “This,” Xuelan gestured to the flower, “is the beginning. Focusing and listening to the way nature communicates allows for the release of the negative feelings and forces you to be more aware of your surroundings.”
            “It’s a flower. That’s all there is to it.” Cristianno threw himself back onto the ground and sighed, rubbing his eyes.
            “Perhaps you would be better off focusing and releasing that magical energy inside.”
            Cristianno’s eyes glared at Xuelan immediately. “I don’t have magic.” The Pandaren furrowed her brows and looked at him, as if observing him carefully. Then her gaze changed and now she looked at him sarcastically.
            “You are an elf with magic. Why don’t you use it?”
            “Because I swore not to.” Cristianno looked away and sighed, leaning back on his arms and stretching his legs outward.
            Xuelan looked at his boots and how close they were to the flower she was training him with. Grabbing the tip of the boot, she moved his leg away, “However, it is in your nature. Why not embrace it?”
            “Because I said no!” He heard the rustling of birds flying from the tree at the sound of his scream and then flocking back onto the branches. Xuelan shushed him and with the wave of her hand, summoned a totem from the ground, water emerging from within. She muttered something and sprinkled water around them. With a sigh, Cristianno hanged his head and shook it. “Look, it was something that my mother made me promise. She didn’t want me to be like…” He threw his head back and took a deep breath. “…Like the man who helped create me.”
            “Your father?”
            “He’s not my father. A father cares about his children.”
            Xuelan’s blue eyes grew wide with his words and her mouth shaped an o. Silently, she gazed back at the flower. Breaking the silence, she said, “He was a magic wielder, I take it?” Cristianno shrugged. “I see.”
            “She, my mother, never wanted me to be like him. I’m glad for that.”
            Xuelan’s lesson ended. She realized how hard it was going to be to train him, so she decided to stop. A mouse scampered around them and stopped beside her. She gently patted the mouse and smiled. “I often wonder what they are thinking.”
            Cristianno lifted his head and looked at the mouse. After staring at it, he smirked and softly said, “He’s hungry.”
            “Or lonely. Maybe he’s looking for a friend.”
            The captain shook his head and reached for his bag. “No, really. He’s hungry.” Pulling out a cracker, he placed it next to the mouse, which reached for it and began to eat rapidly. “See?”
            Xuelan looked at Cristianno. “You were sure of that.”
            He nodded. “I have been able to communicate with animals since I was a young boy.” He smiled and reached out to pet the mouse on the head. “I used to take care of the animals in the caravan. They didn’t bite me and when they did, it wasn’t on purpose.” With a shrug he leaned back on his arms. “Ain’t no big.”
            “You have a gift, Captain. You can focus on animals’ feelings. Not many can say that. Maybe that’s why you’re able to fish so easily.”
            “I didn’t like fishing in my early days at sea. I hated it. But yes, it was easier for me than others.”
            Xuelan stared at him and smiled. “Well, you have found your focus.”
            “What?”
            “You have found your focus; the thing that is going to help you calm yourself. You need a companion.”
            “I have a companion.” Cris grinned at her. Xuelan sighed and shook her head.
            “I do not mean your wife, your friends, or your crew. I speak of an animal companion; one that will allow you to calm your nerves.”
            “I have Adara.”
            “Who’s that?”
            Cristianno looked up at the canopy of trees and whistled a brief melody. Xuelan looked around, wondering what he was doing. A blue-violet bird soared downward, toward Cristianno. “Xuelan, this is Adara. She’s a hyacinth macaw.”
            The Pandaren smiled and gently approached the bird. “Well hello. She’s beautiful. How did you acquire such a bird?”
            “She was a gift.” He gazed at the macaw and sighed. Xuelan noticed the change in speech.
            “A painful memory?”
            He looked at her for a moment before turning back to the bird. “I rather not talk about it.”
            “If you keep it within, you will fall prey to the sha.”
            “I’ve already made my peace with it.”
            “I do not believe you have.”
            “Why can’t you just drop it?”
            “Why can’t you face your emotions?”
            “Because she can’t forgive me!” Adara flew into the air briefly before landing back on Cristianno’s shoulder. He shook his head and tried to ease the bird’s panic, but Xualan saw more to him.
            “Who can’t forgive you?”
            “The woman who gave me this beautiful bird.”
            “And that’s all that’s bothering you?”
            “No!” He sighed and whispered to the bird, which flew up back into the trees. “I’m gong to be a father. I’m nervous. I’m worried. And the woman I wronged hasn’t forgiven me.” He threw himself backward onto the ground. “I’m happy. I am finally happy. So why can’t I let this go?”
            “You wronged her?”
            “Yes. No. No, I didn’t. Maybe a little?” He grumbled and kicked dirt and leaves up into the air. Xuelan coughed and fanned the air around her. “She wasn’t there when I needed her. You have to understand: I have this obsession with women. If I have their attention, then they have me. It’s complicated, I’m sure. And many women have come and gone.” He felt as if his words were just rambling. “Look, this bird is more than just a gift for me. She’s…”
            “A memory you can’t let go?”
            “I’ve let go of her. I had to. I think… I think she’s dead.”
            Xuelan nodded. “I see. Well, then may your companion aide you well.”
            Sitting up, Cristianno looked at Xuelan. “Join me.”
            She looked at him and chuckled. “You expect me to join your crew and bear the idea that you steal, rob, cheat, and murder?”
            “We only murder when it’s necessary.” Xuelan glared at Cristianno, who smiled and winked at her.
            “What would I have to do?”
            “Take care of my crew. Take care of my wife.”
            Xuelan thought about it and said, “I will join you, if you allow me to continue training you. And…”
            “And? Is that enough torture?” He grinned.
            “And you tell me more about this Tia’Zula.”
            His grin slowly faded, but he maintained a small smile. “Very well.” He extended his right arm and the Pandaren took it, shaking hands to seal the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment