74. Betraying Thoughts

Cris finds out that the man who once sought to kill him because he believed Cris hurt his sister was now hurt by that very woman he called sister. Cris not only takes that moment to mend their friendship and finally forget his ex, but he also puts to rest any doubt he has about his current love.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


            “She was part of the plan. She used me. Her, out of all people. Rain.”
            Gunner’s words hit Cristianno hard. The man he once ridiculed for being there at her every command was now broken and confused, the way he once was. The way Rain had left him. A rush of painful memories hit Cris like a wave, crashing hard against his heart as he recalled the same words he cried out to both Laerchel and Niela.
            I don’t understand. How did I wrong her? All I did was for her. My world, my life…
            “Shando. My family name. She soiled it.” Gunner’s words weren’t as pained as Cris’ aching heart, but betrayal is a painful thing and at that moment, Cris understood not only the hurt but the rage Gunner was going through. He was willing to give everything to rescue her; to protect the one he loved, but Rain would have no part in that.
            “That…bitch,” Cris said with a hushed whisper. While Gunner didn’t approve of the word, the sharp sounding letters served as a knife to sever whatever compassion Cris had for her. It was all gone. That she betrayed him was one thing, but to betray the one person who not only called her sister, but also put up with all her mood changes, and was willing to fight and die for her, put a sour taste in Cris’ life. It was then that he realized that he managed to escape from her unstable self before he really got hurt.
            “Be strong,” Cris told Gunner, but the hurt man simply nodded in silence.
            “Who would have thought that being wounded by the same woman would bring two bickering men together,” Gunner chuckled.
            “Perhaps it was fate. Rest, friend. Accept my apologies for slandering your name. It was not deserved.”
            As Gunner walked away for the evening, Cris heard the mocking sound of the wretched undead who was behind he entire scam involving Rain. His words were immature and childish; a pathetic cry for attention. Cris chuckled as he recalled the number of times the death knight continued to insult him throughout the night only for attention. It was simple for Cris to ignore such an imbecile such as him. In fact, it was necessary for the pest to go away. He walked away, leaving the miserable Silvermoon City and walking out into Eversong Woods, followed by the one he loved.
            “What’s wrong?” she whispered from the shadows, evading the Silvermoon guards until they were out of sight.
            “”Did I mention I sent Rain a cupcake the other day?”
            The tone in her single answered word was evident of her disapproval. “No.”
            “I was hoping that there was an inch of compassion left to mend our friendship. After seeing what she did today, my ties are severed. Completely.”
            “You can’t say I didn’t alert you of the situation when I told you of our conversation.”
            “She could die for all I care. She could rise as a Forsaken and rot with the rest of those undead freaks.”
            Niela, now in plain sight, her face still covered by her dark, menacing mask, gave a confident smirk beneath her armor. Her green eyes continued to observe their surroundings as she followed him.
            “I was wrong to believe that she even had a heart because if she did, she would never harm her family, despite her states of confusion. For fuck’s sake, she above all should know how painful being hurt by family is!” Cris stopped and threw his arms up as he let out he rage. Taking a deep breath, he slowly exhaled, brought his arms down to his side, and closed his eyes as he stepped onto the Dead Scar, the sound of dirt and brittle bones crunching beneath his feet. “She should have stayed dead,” he muttered. “At least that Rain was true and loyal.” However, he laughed to himself at the words he had just said. Her being true and loyal? After she left him for another? That was beside the point now.
            Niela placed an arm around his arm and rested her head against his shoulder. Something else was bothering him aside from evening’s fiasco. Cris was having night terrors again, but he wouldn’t speak to her about them. He had confessed that they weren’t about Rain anymore, but her recent betrayal only intensified the fear in his heart.
            “What is wrong, Cristianno?” Niela urged upon him. When Cris found a quiet, green place to rest, he sat up against a twisted tree and beckoned Niela into his arms. Unable to resist him, she removed her mask, unveiling her raven black short hair and nestling in his arms, cuddled against him, but asking once more.
            “I have been betrayed and hurt. I don’t know if I can take another heartbreak.”
            “I wouldn’t --”
            “I told you that I had heart what you and your uncle were discussing last night.” Cris closed his eyes, recalling the vague discussion he heard between Niela and the man she called her uncle; a man he despised for his constant need to always be in charge, whether he was wrong or not.
            Niela lifted her head, her composure cracking as she stared at him with widened eyes. “You said it didn’t matter!”
            “It didn’t,” Cris replied calmly, “but after today’s events, I realized that I simply would not accept another betrayal.” Niela pushed herself away from him to look into his eyes. As she was about to speak, he said, “You mentioned something about erasing my mind.” Her eyes seemed to tremble as her face went pale.
            “That would only happen if I couldn’t let go of you. I tried to and I realized that I couldn’t. And I won’t! Besides, we made vows to each other and I do not break those easily.”
            He closed his blue-green eyes and leaned his head back against the tree while his grip on his woman tightened. “Why would you let go of me?” The tears began to well up in his eyes.
            “I wouldn’t! I’m your wife! That means something!”
            Cris slowly opened his eyes, allowing the teardrops to roll down his face. “I just couldn’t bear another betrayal, especially from you.”
            Lifting her hand to his face, her thumb stopped the rogue tear as she caressed his face. “I am yours and you’re mine, regardless of what may happen. We’re in this together to the end.”
            With a nod, and a kiss to her lips, Cris whispered, “Until death dares to tear us apart.” Their arms entangled around each other as Cristanno’s mind began to ease. The thoughts of betrayal dissipated and he was once more able to rest as he slept in her arms that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment