127. Gerty - Winter Veil with Family

Gerty goes home for Winter Veil.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The small stone home was decorated with holly and greens. Candles illuminated the table and there were six settings, all neatly set. The red napkins were held together by iron rings all bearing the Ironforge insignia. An elder dwarf woman was sitting at the table holding an infant on her lap and singing an old Winter Veil song while the child’s mother and father sat in their respective seats, smiling at the bouncing baby.
“I’m glad to be a grandmomma. At least one of my childrun has the guts to be a parent. I was starting to worry.”
“Ah, momma, I’m sure you’ll be having more grandbabies. Ya still have Gerty and Patrick,” her son said, turning to smile at the baby.
“Patrick I can still play my faith on, but Gerty? My girl runs with pirates and gods know what else she does.” The older woman sighed and shook her head. “No, Martin. Gerty ain’t gonna make me a grandmomma.”
“We can knock some sense into her, momma,” said Patrick, the younger dwarf, who had walked into the dining area. He had the same orange-red hair as his family and he was carrying a rather large platter onto the table. “I mean, she can’t be too far gone, can she? She’s a great cook.”
“Child, cooking don’t mean a thing if she ain’t married.”
             “Maybe she’s following that pirate for a reason. Maybe she plans on marrying him.” The family looked at each other and started to laugh. The ruckus caused the baby to burst out into tears and his mother quickly took him into her arms so that the elder dwarf could continue to laugh.
“Patrick, I don’t think marriage is in her future, child.”
“She’s the only female ya have, momma. She has to get married.”
A large silver platter was slammed in the center of the table and everyone turned to look at the female dwarf with the long braids. She glared at them and slowly let go of the platter. “I wish ya wouldn’t talk behind me back.”
“Oh, drop the tough act, Gerty. We’re just talking the truth,” Martin replied.
             “The truth about what? The gossip ya’ll be saying about me?”
“There must be a reason why you’re all pirating and stuff. Tell us who he is!” Patrick teased.
“I ain’t chasing no lad!” Gerty screamed and everyone remained silent for a moment. “Now, wash up ‘cause I’m done in the kitchen and I didn’t slave away so that no one be eating my food.”
 “Go out and get yer father, Gerty,” her mother said as calmly as possible and Gerty stormed out. She walked down the stairs and looked at the giant forge in the middle of the city. She took a deep breath and she relaxed a bit.
“Pa?”
“Over here, Gert.” Gerty walked around the stone staircase and found her father, an old dwarf man with a graying beard, smoking a pipe.
“Dinner’s ready, pa.” She was about to turn around when she heard him speak.
“It’s a good Winter Veil, ain’t it?”
Gerty shrugged. “I suppose,” she muttered.
“It is if ya make it a good one.”
“Pa, they’re talking about me!”
“Means they love ya.”
Gerty slid against the rock wall and sat on the ground. “Momma wants grandbabies, Pa. I ain’t cut out for that.”
“What are ye cut out for, Gert?” Her father puffed on his cigar and looked at the forge in front of him.
“I dunno. Sailing, shooting, hunting.” She buried her head in her arms. “Everything I do now.”
“So, what’s the problem then?” Gerty lifted her head and looked up at her father. He turned to look down at her with a smile on his face; his cheeks still rosy and his eyes filled with wisdom. “If yer doing what you like, what’s the problem?”
“Momma.”
“Yer momma is jest gonna have to spoil one baby for now.” He tapped his pipe against the wall, dumping its contents on the ground before placing it in his pocket. “Martin wanted to get married and have a family. Patrick is thinking about joining the guard. That’s why I ask ya: are ya happy the way you are now, Gerty?”
“Yes, Pa. I am.” She smiled and her eyes sparkled as she held back her tears.
“Then let’s get supper. I hear you’re an amazing cook.” He patted her daughter’s head as he headed up the stairs.
“Pa?”
“Yes, Gert?”
“I love ya, pa.”
Her father winked at her and continued up the stairs. Gerty wiped her tears and ran up the stairs into her home. Dinner went smoothly and compliments flew in her direction, which made Gerty beam, talking about all the things she had learned from her travels and how she incorporated different flavors in her cooking. She talked about The Captain and made his favorite dish for the family to try. The cookies and candies that Alaia had taught her to make were a hit at the table and after the baby was put to sleep and everyone had opened their presents, they drank warm ale and talked.
There was one gift left, and Gerty had waited until she was in her room before opening the box. She laughed softly as she pulled out a new set of knives, three bottles of brandy, boxes of cupcakes, candy, and food, and a soft, fuzzy blue scarf. She wrapped the scarf around her neck and picked up the letter enclosed.

Happy Winter Veil, Gert!
I figured you needed a new set of knives and Alaia wanted you to stay warm out there in Dun Morogh. I told her you were there with family and she figured a scarf would be great. I hope you had a good break. Zig has a ship and we’re ready to sail. He’ll pick you up outside Stormwind. Get swimming! Can’t wait to eat your cooking! Not saying Alaia’s bad, but you’re a great cook! See you soon!
-C-

Gerty smiled and leaned back in her bed, snuggling the scarf close to her. It was almost time to head back to sea and she couldn’t be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment