148. Gerty - Welcome Home


Gerty goes home to find a pleasant surprise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The stone home smelled of fresh bread and broiled meat. It was something the homeowners were not accustomed, but since their daughter had returned home, they allowed her to live in the kitchen as long as she wanted. Gerty didn’t mind. She enjoyed making them breakfast, lunch, dinner and anything they may want in between.
So when her parents asked her to make a meal for their visiting friends, she was thrilled. She spent the entire day cooking tender wolf stew with vegetables, miniature rabbit meat pies, iced greens salad with berries, venison steak with a mushroom and wine sauce, and for dessert, sugarplum pie with more than a dash of the local ale. Preparation took her an entire day and she had been up early the day of the dinner working on her meals.
Gerty hummed and sang songs that she had learned on the ship from Alaia, tasted and restarted a dish again when it wasn’t quite right. She denied entry to anyone who may have some sort of curiosity toward her meal. And when the company arrived that night, she wasn’t aware until she was completely done and ready to serve.
As soon as evening arrived, so did the Ferguson family, a family who had known the McHaggert family since before their children were born. In fact, with the exception of Gerty’s older brother Martin, the kids were always together, playing or sharing secrets. Now, as adults, it was rare when they managed to see each other. The families gathered in the McHaggert living room, already talking and laughing as they reminisced about the past.
“I tell ya, Alistair,” Camden Ferguson said as he smiled, my daughter walked up to the bear and punched it in the face and that bear was so scared, it simply ran away!” He laughed louder than the rest of the family.  Camden smiled at Ismay, his daughter, who was blushing brightly. Her blonde hair was neatly tucked away in two twisted braids and she wore a short skirt, revealing her knobby knees. She closed her green eyes as she smiled. Patrick, Gerty’s brother, was unable to keep his eyes off her since she had walked in, but he tried to be less than obvious.
Alistair McHaggert refrained from one-upping his friend. The Ferguson family only had one daughter, while he and his family were blessed with two sons and a daughter. He learned early on that there was no use in bragging in his good fortune. “A strong girl you have there, Camden.” He reached for his pipe, but his oldest son, Martin, cleared his throat and shook his head, reminding his father about the baby who was bouncing on his mother’s lap. Alistair mouthed an apology and turned to smile at Camden and his wife Shiela.
Shiela did not miss the gesture and looked at Bridget McHaggert. “You must be so happy to be a grandmomma.”
“I love my baby. I wish I had another one, especially from Gerty, but that girl just doesn’t want to give me a grandbaby.”
“Momma, be nice,” reminded Martin. “Remember, she’s making our dinner.”
“Oh, is that who’s cooking tonight? I thought she was out doing whatever she did?” Bridget asked, leaning forward curiously. Ismay’s eyes brightened at the thought of seeing her old childhood friend again.
“Yes. She’s been coming home lately. And she’s such a good cook. I tell her about the grandbabies, but Martin’s right. She’s wonderful in the kitchen. I tell her she’s going to end up marrying a stove!” The room roared in laughter, with the exception of Alistair, who just smiled.
“What does she do, exactly?” Camden asked.
“She sails,” Alistair answered quickly. “And she loves what she does.”
“Well, with a ship full of men, I’m sure she’s found herself a hearty dwarf,” Shiela said, smiling widely.
“As long as our daughter is happy, we’re happy,” Alistair responded again. Bridget looked at her husband and nodded at Shiela with a smile.
Ismay cleared her throat and spoke in a soft, delicate voice, “It smells lovely. I’m sure it will be delicious.”
“You can sit next to me!” Patrick blurted out and slowly ducked away when all eyes were on him.
Gerty walked in and smiled. “Dinner is ready. Please, find your seats.”
Camden walked toward Gerty and patted her back. “Gerty! Great seeing ya! You look lovely.”
Looking down at her pants, suspenders, and blue shirt, she chuckled. “Not as elegant and you all, Camden, but thank ya.” She touched her braids and adjusted a blue silk flower she had placed in her head, a gift from Alaia during the trip.
When the families sat around the table, Gerty began to serve all the dishes. She sat herself beside her sister-in-law and the baby, and across Ismay, who was trying to inch away from Patrick.
As soon as the first bites were taken, the talking died and everyone was enjoying each dish, savoring each distinct flavor. As soon as dessert was passed out, they resumed their chat. “Well that was amazing, Gerty. Where did you learn to cook like that?” Camden asked.
“On the ship I’m on, sir. I’m the cook.”
“I bet they never complain, huh?”
“Oh, they better not,” Gerty said, smiling at her joke, but knowing deep inside that she wasn’t kidding.
“What kind of ship is it?” Ismay sweetly asked.
Gerty gulped a bit but her years of following Cristianno had taught her to be smooth about the way she answered such questions. “It’s a ship. I don’t get involved in their business. They say cook and I do.”
“Smart girl. I once knew a man who knew too much…” Camden started, but as Gerty pretended to listen, she glanced out of the corner of her eye at Ismay, who was closer to her mother than Patrick, and Patrick, who looked defeated. “…they say he lost his eye that way, but we just don’t ask.” Laughter rang out once again.
“You are funny, Camden. Excuse me, but I’m going to start cleaning up. Pa?” Alistair looked at his daughter and smiled, excusing her from the table. Gerty got up and walked to her father, kissing his head and exiting to the kitchen.
Ismay jumped up and said, “I’ll go help her!” She walked quickly into the kitchen, leaving all eyes on the saddened Patrick.
“Give her time, son,” Shiela said to him and Alistair changed the conversation’s topic almost immediately.

In the kitchen, Gerty was starting to soak the pans when Ismay walked in. “Hey Gerty.”
“Ismay. Did ya need something?”
“No, I just wanted to help you. And to get away from your brother. Sorry.”
Gerty laughed and began to gather the flatware. “He’s a bit desperate. He’ll be returning to the military in a few days and he wants to meet someone before he goes back.” Gerty moved around the kitchen gathering particular items to wash. “How have you been? I haven’t seen ya in a long time.”
“I know. I’ve been alright. Going to the university. I’m almost done with my studies.” Ismay sat on a small stool and pressed her knees together under her short skirt. “I’m going to be an animal doctor.”
“Get out. Really? That’s great.” Gerty began to wash the pans and continued to talk, even while her back was to Ismay. “I sometimes wonder what it would have been like to go to school or to be an apprentice somewhere, but I really love sailing.”
“Do you really?”
“Aye. Granted, I’m only in the kitchen, but at night, when everyone’s asleep, I take my mug of warm ale up on deck and enjoy the night sky and the crashing of the waves. It’s beautiful. If I’m needed, I can navigate the ship.”
“You can?” Ismay’s green eyes widened and she smiled brightly. “Is it a big ship?”
Gerty smiled and chuckled, hiding the mischievous look from her friend. “Aye. This recent one is.” Ridiculously huge, she wanted to tell her, with a goblin head up on front, but she kept those details to herself.
“Wow, it sounds wonderful.” Ismay smiled and looked around. Gerty worked fast. Half the kitchen was already clean. “I remember when we were kids, you would swear you would never let a guy kiss you. Tell me you’ve met a handsome dwarf out there!”
Gerty looked down at the soapy water and her smile vanished, but she quickly faked one to answer her question. “Ah, friend, the men out at sea are nasty.” She giggled and smiled genuinely, “Except for the Captain. He’s a good looking elf.”
“An elf? Oh Gerty, don’t tell me you’re with the Captain.”
Gerty laughed loudly. “Nah, I ain’t. He’s good looking. Very handsome, but he ain’t my type. He was such a womanizer when I met him five years ago, but ya know, he never tried anything on me. He’s been great with me.”
“You’ve been sailing for five years?”
“Seems long, eh?”
Ismay smiled. “That’s wonderful.” She jumped off the stool and grabbed a few plates from the preparation table, taking them to the sink. “Where do you want me to put these?”
Gerty gestured to the empty spot beside her. “That’s fine right there.” Ismay gently placed them down and reached across Gerty to grab a sponge. “What are you doing? You’re going to get your pretty outfit wet.”
Ismay shrugged and began to wash dishes. “It’s fine. I have plenty other outfits.” As they washed dishes, they recalled their childhood and the games they used to play, the secrets they used to have, and the boys they used to crush on.
“I thought you’d be married by now,” Gerty asked as they were finishing the final plates.
Ismay smiled and shook her head. “To be honest, Gerty, I don’t want to.”
“Why not?”
“Because…I can’t find a guy to marry.”
Gerty shook her head and smiled, “That shouldn’t be so hard, Ismay. You’re beautiful!”
Ismay seemed to exhale with a smile. “Thank you.” Her cheeks flushed instantly and looked at Gerty, who rinsed off her hands. When it was her turn, Ismay rinsed her hands as well and turned the water off.
“Thanks for the help.”
Ismay reached across Gerty to grab a towel and looked at her blue eyes. Gerty’s smile diminished into a puzzled smile as Ismay moved closer toward her and before she could ask if she was alright, Ismay kissed her.
Many men had kissed Gerty before, but this was Ismay, the girl who had seen her grow up and the one who had been her best friend until they chose different life paths. And just like that, she closed her blue eyes and embraced her childhood friend.
Pulling away slightly, Ismay caught her breath and spoke against Gerty’s lips. “I’ve been dying to do that since I heard we were going to see your family,” she whispered. Gerty was speechless, but instead, she reached for Ismay’s lips again.
“My brother is going to kill me,” Gerty whispered at Ismay and she laughed softly.
“Mine’s worse. My parents are going to kill me.”
“I won’t let them.” Ismay looked at Gerty and smiled, hugging her tightly this time.
“Welcome home, Gerty,” she whispered against her ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment