145. Drowning Sorrows

He really needed a drink.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 The three mugs in front of the blonde elf were empty and he was working on number four. The shabby bar, which seemed that was about to collapse, was filled with thieves, deviants, and undesirables. The undead bartender glared at the elf, watching him gulp down the alcohol in the mug. The elf slammed the mug and tapped on the bar. “Another.”
            The undead chuckled and filled up another mug, sliding it in front of the elf. “Never seen a dainty who drank so much.” The elf ignored the comment and began to drink. The bartender gathered the used mugs and turned them upside down, ready to use. He leaned forward toward the elf and whispered, “I wouldn’t stay too long if I were you. Those trolls and deaders are looking at ya funny.”
  “Let them try shit. I’ll rip them apart before they do anything.”
            The undead laughed loudly, turning heads in the bar. “Quite a mouth you have there, friend.”
            “I ain’t your friend. Another drink.” The bartender took one of the dirty mugs and served him another drink.
            “I can see you fit right in. What’s eating you up?”
            “Lousy wenches.”
            The undead laughed again. “Typical elf and his women problem.”
            “I meant more in the sense of betrayal.”
            “That’s the ultimate sin.”
            “Don’t I know it.”
            “So what are you going to do about it?”
            The elf lifted his blue-green eyes. “I’m killing her lover.”
            With a nod, the bartender served him another drink. “You want her that bad, eh?”
            The elf sighed, “No. Her job was to get involved with the organization and assist me, but she fell in love with the asshole who tried to get me killed.” The elf drank the next mug of alcohol. “No, not love. She doesn’t love him. She’s just fucking him.”
            “You sound bitter.”
            “I don’t care who she fucks.”
            “But you wish it was you?”
            “No.” The elf looked into the almost empty mug. He thought of Alaia and shook his head. “No, I don’t.”
            “Then what’s the problem?” The undead served him another drink.
            The elf grabbed the newly filled mug, drank it quickly and slammed the mug on the bar. “She was mine first!” Again, the heads in the bar turned toward him and the bartender laughed loudly once more.
            “I don’t give a fuck if you kill yourself drinking, but I’m going to kick you out now because I’m pretty sure that your drunk antics are going to probably get you killed.”
            The elf looked up, “Huh?”
            “Get the fuck out of my bar before I tell these miscreants to kill you.”
            The elf slammed coins onto the bar and stumbled out of the creaking building. Cris staggered his way to Silvermoon, and back to Eversong Woods, to the home he shared with Alaia.

No comments:

Post a Comment