147. Kyl- Battle Lost


The Kid Kyl has a reunion with his family.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two dark-haired young elves sat in the inn beside Murder Row. The well-dressed elf looked rather scared but he remained calm, his eyes constantly glancing at the entrance and exit. The other elf, the one who looked ragged and filthy ate quickly, as if he hadn’t eaten in a long time. He looked up and noticed his younger brother’s nervous demeanor. “What’s wrong?”
“Father is going to find us here.”
“Syn, it’ll be fine. He wouldn’t dare enter a place like this. Look, there goes another whore. Just eat, dude.”
Syndril sat back and looked at his older brother. “You changed in a year, brother.”
 “Ya think?” Kyl wiped his mouth with his hand and drank the rest of the juice in the mug. For some reason, he felt the Captain and the lady were still watching over him. “It’s called freedom, little bro. I can do whatever I want and guess what? I can afford it.”
“So you did become a pirate.”
Kyl nodded. “It’s not that bad. Lots of damn work but after a while, I realized that Father would die if he saw his son mopping on a ship or emptying buckets of shit. That helped me get over the shitty way they treated me at first. That and this beautiful woman.”
Syn leaned back in his seat and removed his black gloves, smirking at his brother. “A possible interest?”
His brother laughed. “I wish. She’s so beautiful and calm and patient. But, she’s with the Captain and he’ll kill me if I try anything.”
“I’m sure he wouldn’t kill his crew just like that.”
 “Dude, he’s like a big-time pirate or something. People know him in Booty Bay. Besides, I still think he’s holding her against her will. I don’t know. Something just seems fishy.”
 “Why?”
 “She’s so nice and he’s an asshole.” Both young elves laughed. “Speaking of Father, how are things?”
Syn sighed and ran his hand through his hair before playing with the golden dragonhawk brooch adorning the his green velvet cloak. “Same as always.” He hesitated a bit. “Introducing me as his only son.”
Kyl dropped the drumstick in his hand and looked Syn for a moment. “Really?” He looked at the food in front of him and tried to not show what he was feeling: rage, frustration, jealousy. “Yeah, well, it’s true. He ain’t my Father any…anymore.” He looked away as he wiped his hands on his tattered pants.
 “You are still my brother, Kyl.”
“Then that’s all that matters now, right?” Kyl shrugged and forced himself to smile. “So, you coming with me? Like I said, I’m sure the boss will let you onboard. He always needs workers. Whatcha say?”
Syn shook his head. “What about Mother?”
Kyl narrowed his eyes. “What about her?”
 “Really?”
“Syn, she just stood there and let that asshole beat up her son! She doesn’t give two fucks about me!”
            “Don’t say that. She cried for months because you were gone.” Syn’s voice, which was softer than his brother’s, was calm and sincere.
“Yeah I call bullshit on that.”
“Stop cursing! You can speak that way among commoners on a simple ship, but here, you’re—“ Syn stopped speaking and realized how he must have been sounding.
“I’m what? I’m in the presence of a Farstrider? Wow, what a difference a year makes.”
“That’s not what I meant?”
“Oh, really? You sound just like Father. Dude, just get away from this bullshit! It’s gonna eat you up!” Kyl reached into his bag and threw a pouch of gold on the table. “Look, I saved money to rescue you. We can survive. If you don’t want to go on the ship, we won’t go! We’ll find something to do. You don’t have to be a Farstrider, Syn.”
Syn ‘s green eyes widened. “That’s a lot of money.”
 “Let’s go, brother. Leave this dump. Be whatever you want to be.”
The younger brother was about to reach into the bag when he froze in place at the sound of a voice.
 “Filthy money from a filthy rat. Syn, do not touch that.” Syn obeyed and jumped out of his seat. He grabbed his gloves and placed them back on immediately.
Kyl turned and saw an older Sin’dorei with long black hair. The same golden brooch decorated his own cloak as it did his son’s. He had the same cold look that he had the year before. “You haven’t changed.”
Father smiled and in a soft, voice said, “I’m sorry, but we’ve never met before.”
 “Right. You just called me a filthy rat.”
With a cold chuckle, Father replied, “Look at your attire. Hardly worthy of anything but a rat.” The smile disappeared and harshly said, “Son, we must leave.”
Syn adjusted his brooch and glanced at Kyl, who was now on his feet as well. “Goodbye, brother,” he whispered.
“Syn, think about it. Is this what you really want?”
Father laughed. “You ask if this is really what he wants? To be honored with the Farstriders? To go up in rank and enjoy the rewards that will come? My son knows exactly what he wants.”
Kyl ignored his Father and stared at Syn. “Syn, come with me.”
Syn frowned and puffed his chest out, lifting his head. “I’m sorry, brother. I’m…” He appeared to gulp before continuing, “, I’m being honored today.” Father’s wide grin could not be removed. Kyl slowly fell back into his seat, shocked and saddened.
“Son, go on. I will be following you shortly. Take the street exit. Murder Row is not a place to be seen at.” Syn nodded, looked at Kyl once more, and exited. Kyl rolled his eyes and sighed, reaching over for the bag of gold, so he didn’t notice his Father walking toward him. A hand grabbed his collar and lifted him off the chair. “Listen here, street rat. You don’t have a family here anymore. Don’t come around here and don’t ever contact your brother again. He is going to be someone important, unlike you, you worthless excuse of a life.” He lowered his voice and with one hand, reached into his pocket for a handkerchief, which he lifted to his nose momentarily. “You inherited nothing of mine. You are completely your worthless mother’s son.” Kyl didn’t flinch at all. “That’s right. Just sit there and take it. That’s why you couldn’t cut being a Farstrider. Because you are worthless. Stay away from my son and stay away from us. If I see you here again, I will make sure that you are locked away for good, is that clear, street rat?” With that, he dropped Kyl on the floor and turned around, walking away with his cloak flowing behind him.
Kyl climbed back up into the chair and reached for the bag of gold, putting it back in his bag. There were no tears for that man or the woman, but he could not believe his brother did not want freedom. Kyl paid his tab and grabbed his bag, eager to leave. He realized he really had nothing to do in the city. He finally let his tears drop as he walked down the streets toward the front gate.
No, he would try again. He knew he would. He had to save Syndril from Father’s grasp, one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment