23. A Pirate's Thoughts

Onboard his ship, Cris recalls several thoughts, from his dear friend Laerchel, the rogue he once stopped from stealing and now travels with him on occassion, to Rain, the woman he has fallen in love with.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The ship swayed very gently over the water. To an experienced sailor, the movement wasn’t obvious, but the hanging candle over the captain’s desk moved ever so slowly from side to side. The captain sat at his desk that night, staring at the skull sitting on his desk. It wore a leather eye patch and a red bandana on its hard head. The elf chuckled, and poked at its eye socket. “Hey Steeve.” The nights weren’t as entertaining to him as the days were. It would be safer for him to wander around Stormwind at night, but he didn’t see it as fun. The crates were loaded already and the only thing left was to have a final inspection by the port authority, which he had to wait until the morning. He was eager to leave, but at the same time, he was curious about the human Anisse and her own curiosity about his particular predicament with souls.
The cathedral’s bells rang twice and Cris rubbed his eyes. Sleep escaped him for the time being. He looked up at his bed and noticed his blonde companion and crew member asleep. “Silly Laerchel,” he whispered. Ever since she had joined his crew, he would let her sleep in his bed until morning, when she would join the rest and he would spend a few hours in bed. She tossed to one side and he smiled. For a moment, he imagined someone else in her place. He could see the strawberry blonde hair against his pillow and her blanket forming against her body, accentuating her curves as she slept on her side.
He blinked and shook his head, “Stop it, Cris,” he whispered, running his hands though his hair and sighing. The need was growing within him but he continued to subdue it. He felt it impossible to make the same mistake with Rain as he did with Kahlen. Although Kahlen did not deserve to be treated that way, he saw Rain as a delicate creature he needed to protect and loved properly. He placed his head against the desk and closed his eyes, trying to get some sleep, but sleep simply wouldn’t come. He sat up and reached into his desk for a piece of parchment and a writing tool. Looking at the parchment made him think of Rain, which in turn made him smile, before he began to write.
Stormwind is looking worse each time I visit. There was a warning sign next to the moonwell, the canals are looking a little green and the word on the street is that this Sheriff is out to collect taxes on everything and everyone. The Port Authority had to hide some secrets from the posse, which makes me want to avoid this place altogether, but what’s life without a little adventure? Besides, my little business with the Slaughtered Lamb is going well and if I can get a few more connections, we can sail more than just to Stormwind. Although, I’m dying to get back to Booty Bay.
I remember I called her an enchantress who managed to captivate my wild heart. She shook her head, I guess reminding me that she was a priestess in training, but I simply laughed. She’s slowly getting used to my humor. I love it when she smiles and her silent laugh is just as contagious as if someone else would have laughed loudly.  Ziggly is ready to seek her out and give her a piece of his mind, but I’ll make sure he doesn’t. I think that once he meets her, he’ll see what I see in her.
I feel so confused, to be quite honest. The pirate in me is dying to visit the brothels and I know I shouldn’t. My heart says no. This is a different situation than before. Before, I was too weak to simply say no and to be honest, it felt right, but with Rain...it’s different. So different. And yet, here I am, wondering if the Stormwind brothels are any good and staring at Laerchel, who really needs to start wearing more clothes. Seriously, she does.
I remember Rain telling me that she desired me. Me, the pirate and the man. Part of me is thrilled with her words but the other part of me is wondering if she knows what it’s like to be with a pirate. Zig was right. We drink and smoke, we fight and steal; we take what we want and do who we like. Well, they do, anyway. My father didn’t really raise me to be a pirate. He wanted me to become a soldier or a merchant. Even a fisherman would have been ideal for him, but instead, I went pirate. I wonder to this day what his thoughts of me would be if he were alive. But, if I were to mess up again, I would lose Rain…and then what would become of me?
I hope this wasn’t too soon, but I can’t help but wait impatiently until the next time I get to hold Rain in my arms. She brightens my life and makes everything right. She’s my enchantress…She’s the one I—“
He stopped writing and looked over the note, sighing and before folding the letter, he smiled softly. Once he folded the parchment, he placed it in his desk and turned off the hanging candle. The cathedral bells rang once again, three times, and he finally felt tired enough to fall asleep. At first he leaned back in his red velvet chair but as he settled, he saw Laerchel in his bed. Again, his thoughts went to Rain, and he as if in a trance, he rose from the chair and walked to the bed. “Rain,” he whispered.
The woman shifted in bed and the illusion was broken as soon as Cris saw Laerchel’s face. He sighed and sat on the edge of the bed, lifting his feet and stretching out on the bed, leaning back against a pillow as he sat up beside her. He scratched his bare chest and closed his eyes as he leaned his head back against the mountain of pillows. Her arm slithered over his torso and Laerchel snuggled next to him. Cris looked down at her and smiled gently, running his hand over her hair.
All he could think about was getting back to Booty Bay as quickly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment