33. Two Goblins on a Boat


The small rowboat sailed far from Booty Bay, toward pirate waters, where the two goblins knew that the slightest false move would definitely mean their end. The goblin rowing kept focus by moving the oars, but his companion shook in place, biting his nails and looking around nervously.
            “Will you stop shaking, Tik? You’re going to tilts us over!”
            “Why did we have to come here? This ain’t good business, Merv.”
            “You heard the innkeeper. If we deliver this letter, it would put us in a pirate’s graces and then we could expand our little delivery service. It beats getting rounded up and sold to slavery. Think, Tik!”
            “B-but, coming out to Jaguero? I mean, there’s a reason no one wanted to raise their hand and do it themselves. It’s Jaguero!”
            The rowing goblin shook his head and gave a sharp and toothy smile. “Look, Tik! We’re here.” The boat kept moving toward the shore and as soon as they hit the sandy bank, they jumped out. “Ya got the letter?” The trembling goblin nodded and they walked along the beach. “They said the hut would be around here.”
            “W-who are we looking for?”
            “Someone named Tia’Zula.”
            “That d-doesn’t sound like a goblin.”
            “Might be some strange human name.”
            “D-doesn’t sound human either.”
            “Will you stop shaking? We’re just gonna deliver this and get the hell out.” The hut began to come into view and they ran toward it, only slowing down when they approached it. “So knock, Tik.”
            “Kn-knock? You knock.!”
            Merv rolled his eyes and knocked on the wooden door. He inhaled and stood as tall and presentable as a goblin could look.
            “ ‘hoo be der?”
            “It’s not a human!” whispered Tik.
            Merv smacked his companion and looked up at the door, “We are Mervtik Delivery Service. We have a letter for, uh, Tia’Zula.”
            “Jus leave it unde’ da doah.”
            “You heard her. Let’s go.”
            “Stop it!” Merv whispered. “Uh, lady?” his voice was raised again. “I was specifically told that I had to wait for a response.” There was shuffling inside the hut and Merv placed his large green ear against the door. The door was open and a large growling white wolf now had its snout against the goblin’s ear. Tik squealed and cowered away while Merv looked up and saw a tall troll woman beside the wolf.
            “Let us see it,” the troll woman with pink braids said, her oddly shaped blue hand demanding her mail.
            Merv grabbed the letter from Tik and shakily, handed it to the woman. She opened the letter and Merv noticed that there was a letter enwrapping the original letter. Tia looked down at the goblins and grinned, her small tusks pulling back her smile wider. “Ya mon. I be takin’ ‘im.”
            Both Merv and Tik froze. “What?”
            “Da lettah is givin’ one of joo to me. I be takin’ the shakey one.”
            Tik squealed again and Merv daringly ripped the paper out of the troll woman’s hand. He scanned it and his eyes widened. “Traitor!” Tik whimpered and Merv turned to look at him, “That two-bit goblin betrayed us!”
            “Joo be goin’ now, little one. Shakey, joo be comin wit me.”
            “Oh hell no! You ain’t taking my friend!”
            The troll woman patted the wolf beside her and it stepped toward Merv, snapping its snout at him. Merv ran back and grabbed Tik, trying to pull him away with him, but he was frozen in place. “Come on, Tik!”
            “I can’t move, Merv! It’s like I’m stuck here with magic.” The wolf ran toward the other goblin, forcing him to release Tik and keep running.
            “I’ll come looking for ya, Tik! I’ll be back!”
            Tia’Zula walked toward the shaking goblin an patted his head, “I ain’ gonna eat joo, little one. I jus need an assistant. I will teach you no fear, ya? Come.” She took his hand and as if he was never grounded, he simply moved with her. As soon as she led him into her hut, she opened the second letter. She recognized the handwriting and made a special note that it was sent from Stormwind. “Ah joo bein’ a bad boy again, ain’ cha?”
            Misae ran back to Tia and looked up, as if expecting the news as well. “Look like joo be seein’ ‘im soon, Misae. Cris is comin’ at the end of the week.” She let out a cackle as the wolf howled.


Dear Tia,

            I’m doing well, but I need to see you. I heard some disturbing news from some trolls who follow Bwonsamdi and they claim that I am hexed. But I trust you, Tia. My crew will arrive at Jaguero at the end of the week. I want you to meet someone very special to me. You need to tell me that I will not harm her.

My love to Misae.

Wolf



No comments:

Post a Comment